Wednesday, February 18, 2015

A Note to my Readers

Hello all,

First of all I want to apologize for the long silence on the blog front.  It’s so heartening to know people care enough about the blog to pester me about what’s going on.

The truth is I’ve reached something of a crossroads, and for a while now I’ve been struggling to figure out where and how the blog fits into my changing life. 

Those of you who are close to me will know that for some time, my family and I have been dealing with a difficult situation involving my sister.  It has been an emotionally taxing time for all of us, none more so than my sister herself.  Of course my instinct is to write about what’s been going on, but the issues surrounding our situation are complex, and I’m not at liberty to betray my sister’s trust by discussing it.

As you guys know, I use this blog as an outlet.  So it feels strange and stifling having to consistently omit one of the central issues in my life.  What it effectively means is I have no choice but to blog about fairly peripheral stuff, as the goings on in my family have had implications on the rest of my life, and indeed on the person who I am.  I like writing about funny stuff that happens to me, but this blog was always meant to be an accurate representation of all of my sometimes shit life.  Not just little bits of it.

The other consideration is a much more positive one.  In the last few months, my writing career has finally started to take off.  I’m finding myself more and more busy with articles and interviews, and so, I’ve got to admit, I have been neglecting the blog in favour of looming due dates.  I am deeply envious of bloggers that can just dash off an entry in a few minutes, but that’s never going to be my style.  It always takes me longer than I think it will to make an entry I’m happy with.

But that’s really no excuse, and I’ve resolved to be more organised with my scheduling so I have the time to dedicate to the blog.

My problem is this; where do I go from here?  I know I’ll probably never make any money out of this little blog, but I’m loath to give it up.  It’s been there since the beginning; when I came out of my post-uni funk and decided to write; and I’ve formed quite a sentimental attachment to it.  I could wait until I’ve got more freedom to write about my family situation, but who knows when that will be.  I could take the blog in a new direction and write more about current events, like I do for a lot of my magazine stuff, but with a personal twist.  I could make it more focussed on one theme; concentrate on organic farming, or some other interest.        

I’m sure I’ll figure out soon where I want to go with it, but in the meantime, I thought I would let you guys in on what’s been on my silly mind.   

Oh, and for anyone who’s concerned, don’t worry.  I’m happy and healthy and have access to an awesome support network.  I’m so lucky to have the most wonderful friends.  Also, my relationship with my mum and dad is more solid than ever.  We’ve been through some pretty tough situations together and it’s only served to galvanize our love and respect for one-another.

And if anyone has any ideas, I’d love to hear them!

Until next time,

Katie xxoo

No comments:

Post a Comment