Friday, November 14, 2014

I did Weird Sex Stuff as a Kid, and Maybe, so did You



When I was a kid, I did weird sex stuff with other kids.  And, to the extent of my sneakily begotten and wildly inaccurate knowledge on the subject, I knew what I was doing.  When my two year old best friend ushered me into the nook between big and little side at crèche to show me her ‘girl doodle’, I was all too aware of the naughtiness of the revelation.  When, at 4, I plodded over on the reg to my next door neighbour’s house for a cubbyhouse session of ‘Doctors and Nurses’, and her mother drew the curtain to find me buried somewhere in between her lovely daughter’s thighs, I was red faced as a touring pom.  Because I had been to a doctor, and never had I seen them engage in such behaviour with their nurse.  My sister and I would play the ‘touching tongues’ game, laughing hysterically as we separated in a spray of spittle.  At Christmas one year my boy cousin and I were caught, butt naked and fawning over each other, in an oh-so-steamy bath.  I liked this cousin very much at the time.  And I liked it even more when we got nakie together.  I knew, he knew, we knew as kids, that we were doing the ‘sex stuff’.     

Do I have to say it?  This stuff is totally normal!  It’s an explorative stage of childhood, driven in equal parts by the desire to understand our bodies, to interpret the messages we are steadily absorbing from the adult world, and, shock(!), for pleasure.  Every single person I’ve gotten pissed enough with to brave the subject has spilt their own sexy can of beans, and psychologists have been telling us for decades that sexual exploration in kids is A-OK. 

So, why am I telling you this?  To relieve my own burden of gnawing guilt and come clean?  Maybe a bit.  But mostly, it’s an extremely cumbersome segue into my declaration of solidarity with Lena Dunham.  No matter your opinion on the Girls creator, the ‘child molester’ accusations being hurled her way by the right wing sleazeballs over at Truth Revolt are, as she puts it, fucking disgusting.  Since the furore blew up, there have been an opportunistic few in the corner of the publication.  I’ll choose to ignore them.  What’s been heartening to see is the out-pouring of support for the artist, most prominently from the newly minted Tumblr site Those Kind of Girls, which serves to normalise the sexy, touchy stuff we do as kids by providing a space for others to tell spill their stories.       

This is obviously awesome.  But it doesn’t go far enough.  Embedded within the context of the tales, a new problem is presented. 

Almost all of the contributors admit to ‘doing stuff’ as kids, but with a loud proviso.  It wasn’t sexual!  They didn’t have a clue what they were doing!  They were just kids, after all!  The implicit message is; it’s OK if you did it, but only if you did it in an innocent, rosy-cheeked way that conforms to our rigid standards on what a child should and shouldn’t be.  The inherent hypocrisy stems from setting out to assuage feelings of shame derived from childhood curiosity, while implicitly shaming those whose experience deviates from this culturally palatable norm.  Those who knew they were being sexy.  Those who enjoyed it.  Me.        

All this stuff hails from our pearl-clutching tendency as a society to anchor our morals on notions of what a child should be.  We’ve constructed anything but picture-book innocence as deviant, as perverted and weird.  Because we cannot stomach what professionals have been telling us for years, we pathologise what should be a normal part of the transition to adulthood.

Before my many drunken chats on the subject, I thought I was a fucking weirdo, too.  In my quieter moments I would reflect in shame on the time spent with my neighbour behind the fitted-sheet curtain.  Every single one of my convo-buddies has admitted to feeling the same.  But really, we got off lightly.  The fucking tragedy derives from the adults out there who haven’t had this cathartic opportunity, whose guilt has led to mental illness, and for what?        


I’m not bitching on the Tumblr site.  It’s doing a good thing.  But if we’re gonna talk, let’s really talk.  Not everyone has the luxury of drunk buddies to tell them it’s ok.    

No comments:

Post a Comment